Types of DA

If your project cannot be considered as exempt or complying development, you'll need to obtain development consent by submitting a development application (DA).

A DA consists of standard application forms, supporting technical reports, and plans.

Where should I start? 

Your first step should be to review the Liverpool Plains Local Environmental Plan 2011 (LEP).

The LEP classifies development into categories, depending on the land use zone your property is located within:

  • Development that does not need consent (No DA required)
  • Development that needs consent (DA required)
  • Development that is prohibited

To determine which zone your property is located within, use the NSW Department of Planning and Environment’s ePlanning Spatial Viewer.

If your project is exempt development, other approvals may be required. If you think your project may be considered prohibited or you're unsure about the categories, we encourage you to contact us to discuss.

What type of DA do I need?

The nature of your project will determine what type of DA you need to apply for. The application fees and relevant supporting documentation may also vary by project and for each DA category.

Local development

Local development refers to development that requires a DA to be submitted to Council for consideration and determination.

Local development is the most common type of development in NSW, with projects ranging from home extensions to medium sized commercial, retail and industrial developments.

A development is considered local development if:

  • a local environmental plan (LEP) or State environmental planning policy (SEPP) states that development consent is required before the development can take place; and
  • it is not considered to be either Regionally or State significant development.

Read more about local development on the NSW Department of Planning and Environment website

Integrated development

Integrated development is development that not only requires Council approval, but also requires the approval of another government agency under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

If a DA is lodged as integrated development, we coordinate the process of seeking approvals from other government agencies.

Approval from the relevant government agencies must be obtained before we can grant development consent. If the relevant government agency recommends refusal, we cannot approve the DA.

Read more about integrated development on the NSW Planning Portal website.

Nominated integrated development

Nominated Integrated Development is development that requires an approval under:

  • A provision of the Heritage Act 1977
  • A provision of the Water Management Act 2000
  • A provision of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997

Designated development

Designated development

Designated Development refers to developments that are high-impact developments (e.g. likely to generate pollution) or are located in or near an environmentally sensitive area (e.g. a wetland).

Examples of designated development include chemical factories, large marinas, quarries and sewerage treatment works. For the Regulation’s full list of designated developments, read Schedule 3 of the EP&A Regulation.

If a development application is categorised as designated development, the application:

  • must be accompanied by an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
  • will require public exhibition for at least 28 days
  • can be the subject of a merits appeal to the Land and Environment Court by objectors

An EIS for designated development must be prepared in accordance with the Planning Secretary’s requirements. To request the Planning Secretary’s Environmental Assessment Requirements (SEARs), an applicant must complete the Form A.

Read more about designated development on the NSW Department of Planning and Environment website.

Regional development

Regional development are projects that will be assessed and publicly exhibited by Council. The consent authority will however be the Regional Planning Panel

Regional development is defined in Schedule 7 of the State Environmental Planning Policy (State and Regional Development) 2011 and includes:

  • development with a capital investment value (CIV) over $30 million
  • development with a CIV over $5 million which is:
    • council related
    • lodged by or on behalf of the Crown (State of NSW)
    • private infrastructure and community facilities
    • eco-tourist facilities.
  • extractive industries, waste facilities and marinas that are designated development
  • certain coastal subdivisions
  • development with a CIV between $10 million and $30 million which is referred to the Planning Panel by the applicant after 120 days

Read more about regional development on the NSW Department of Planning and Environment website.

State Significant development and State Significant infrastructure

Some types of development and infrastructure are considered to have State significance due to the size, economic value, or potential impacts that it may have.

State significant development is identified in the State and Regional Development SEPP.

Applications must be submitted to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment's major projects website, and will be assessed and determined by the NSW Department of Planning and Environment as the consent authority.

Read more about state significant development (SSD) and state significant infrastructure (SSI) on the NSW Department of Planning and Environment website.



For more information, visit the NSW Planning Portal.

We are here to help

Before you prepare an application, we encourage you to discuss your proposal with one of Council's Planning team.  This is a free service, available via phone between 2pm and 4:30pm, Monday to Friday.